Friday, February 24, 2012

CREATE GLOBAL CUBE in dataset MDX query.

Hello,
I am attempting to use a CREATE GLOBAL CUBE command when defining a data set in MSRS. The intent is to use the MSRS security and scheduling capabilities to dump local cube files from our data warehouse to a file share, then use MSRS's delivery mechanisms to deliver the cubes to the intended recipient(s). The problem (I believe) is that the command does not return any data, so when rendering the report I bound the dataset to, the server just stops responding. I assume it is waiting for data that will never come. The report itself only contains a text box with a string literal. The good news is that when I try to render the report, the local cube file is generated...I just need the server to finish rendering the "dummy" report. Any ideas? Thanks.
-Rob HoffmanRob, did you look at DTS as an alternative solution?
Reporting Services isn't really meant to be used in the way you're trying to
use it. One area of concern is that you mention the server stops
responding. It it only this particular report that doesn't get rendered, or
does the server stop responding to any request?
-Lukasz
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Rob Hoffman" <Rob Hoffman@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6E2F8425-C095-4F36-9A40-C1CD6ADD73DD@.microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> I am attempting to use a CREATE GLOBAL CUBE command when defining a data
> set in MSRS. The intent is to use the MSRS security and scheduling
> capabilities to dump local cube files from our data warehouse to a file
> share, then use MSRS's delivery mechanisms to deliver the cubes to the
> intended recipient(s). The problem (I believe) is that the command does
> not return any data, so when rendering the report I bound the dataset to,
> the server just stops responding. I assume it is waiting for data that
> will never come. The report itself only contains a text box with a string
> literal. The good news is that when I try to render the report, the local
> cube file is generated...I just need the server to finish rendering the
> "dummy" report. Any ideas? Thanks.
> -Rob Hoffman|||Lukasz,
Yes, but RS looked like a better choice out of the box because of its built-in security model, job scheduling, delivery mechanisms and extensibility. The requirements of the project I'm working on make it an expedient alternative to writing code that allows users to define, schedule and deliver local OLAP cubes from our data warehouse source.
To answer your question, when I view (view tab) my dummy report in Report Manager, the report never renders, and my aspnet_wp process consumes all processing power on the server. When I open a second browser window and try to access Report Manager, the page never loads. It looks like there is some sort of infinite loop occurring. I have never observed a timeout, but I have waited several minutes for the process to complete. I ended up having to close the first browser window (stop rendering the dummy report) to get RS to return to normal operation. When I do that, the second browser window finishes rendering my Report Manager screen almost immediately. I'd appreciate any help you or anyone else can provide in resolving this.
-Rob
"Lukasz Pawlowski [MSFT]" wrote:
> Rob, did you look at DTS as an alternative solution?
> Reporting Services isn't really meant to be used in the way you're trying to
> use it. One area of concern is that you mention the server stops
> responding. It it only this particular report that doesn't get rendered, or
> does the server stop responding to any request?
> -Lukasz
> --
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "Rob Hoffman" <Rob Hoffman@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6E2F8425-C095-4F36-9A40-C1CD6ADD73DD@.microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am attempting to use a CREATE GLOBAL CUBE command when defining a data
> > set in MSRS. The intent is to use the MSRS security and scheduling
> > capabilities to dump local cube files from our data warehouse to a file
> > share, then use MSRS's delivery mechanisms to deliver the cubes to the
> > intended recipient(s). The problem (I believe) is that the command does
> > not return any data, so when rendering the report I bound the dataset to,
> > the server just stops responding. I assume it is waiting for data that
> > will never come. The report itself only contains a text box with a string
> > literal. The good news is that when I try to render the report, the local
> > cube file is generated...I just need the server to finish rendering the
> > "dummy" report. Any ideas? Thanks.
> >
> > -Rob Hoffman
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment